Daily Polygon

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Nintendo Teams Up With Broadcom, As Well As A Mini-Rant

Daily Polygon:
Because Sophisticated Content Is Too Good For You

You may have recently heard that Nintendo's wireless functionality on the Revolution will be handled through a partnership with Broadcom. If you don't know what Broadcom is, it deals with wired and wireless broadband communications semiconductors. If you're not hip to tech-lingo, this means that they work to provide online connections. For Nintendo, they'll be increasing the WiFi technology's power by 50%, strengthening your connection and enabling you to play people farther away. Imagine a regular online set-up and then giving it steroids. That's the kind of situation we've got here.

So be happy, my young Nintendo friends who dream of doing the online jig all night long with a 34-year old Japanese schoolteacher. Your prayers may soon be answered with the increasingly online-positive Nintendo Co. Ltd. Now all they need to do is let Nintendo of America off its figuritive 5-foot leash and they'll be golden next round. God knows Sony can't last forever, so the next thrown-master might as well be Nintendo. If they add some great third party support and DVD playback, there's no reason why it couldn't be them. Even with the PS3 and Xbox 360's pre-installed user-base, if there's anything I've learned about the game industry it's that it's completely unpredictable. For all we know, Microsoft will wear the crown next round. All fingers are pointing to Sony on that one, but until I see the concrete facts at E3 this year, I'm not putting a lot of faith in Cell technology.

Anyway, this has turned into a rant about the next generation and I'm starting to come off as anti-Sony. I'm not anti-Sony, I'm just a firm supporter in the underdog. If things were the other way around, I'd be hooting for the PS3 nonstop. No, really, it's true. I always support the straggler in the hopes of an upset. I'm just that type of rebel, you see. I even wear a Renegade patch on my badass leather jacket.

That last part's a joke. It's suede.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home